Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Wages of Gun free Zones is More Deaths.

Here is a pretty good (and recently updated) article from the Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) regarding the prevalence of mass public shootings in place where guns are prohibited for the unbadged versus localities where concealed carry is not meaningfully restricted. The author also explain how the propaganda from groups like "Everytown for Gun Safety" and "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" distorts the numbers to better serve their agenda.

I did not realize the the difference was so marked. In the 55 years since 1950, 98.4% of mass public shootings happened in places where carry for ordinary persons was prohibited either by local law or the venue owner's requirements. If only the years from 1998 to 2016 are considered that number drops slightly to 96.2%. While no solid conclusions can be drawn from just those two numbers, they do make it reasonable to consider the proposition that: If guns are a "Pubic Heath" problem, the best vaccine is not prohibition but empowering peaceable citizens to carry firearms for defense of self and, where appropriate, others.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Lets Loose On Facebook

Recently, someone posted a link to a rather silly Facebook screed from California's ex-governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. A few minutes of fact-checking reveal some seriously misleading numbers. For example:

Seven million persons die each year because of pollution.

About 6 million of those 7 million deaths associated with pollution are in the relatively low income regions of South-East Asia and the Western Pacific Nations. Additionally, over half (55%) of that 6 million are related to *indoor* pollution not outdoor pollution. So, while the number is technically correct it is also misleading.

California gets 40% pf its power from "renewable" sources.

The California Energy Commission reported the percentage of in-State electricity generation for 2015 as

Small hydro1.2%
Large hydro5.9%
Natural gas59.9%

So about 70% is from non "renewable" sources leaving only 30% to fill out Arnie's 40% claim. If out-of-State source are also considered, the percentage of renewable sources drops to 22%.

I leave it as an exercise for the student to debunk the rest of it.