Thursday, June 10, 2010

How is Rape a Libertarian Behavior?

Mike Vanderboegh blogs about the "Rape Trees" that have been found on the US-Mexico border for several years now. For further explanation of this disgusting phenomena see:

"Rape Trees" Found Along Southern US Border

An All Too Common Occurrence

Rape trees prove Mexican violence has crossed the border and there are women who need justice

Mike then asks, "Kindly explain the libertarian principles embodied by these."

I don't get what imagined libertarian principle he is trying to illustrate here. US and Mexican law insure that anyone from Mexico trying to cross the border without the proper "papers" must seek help from outside the law. The logistics of smuggling large numbers of people requires a substantial infrastructure meaning that organized groups are better able to provide the service.

Human smuggling does not have to be a dirty, evil business. During World War II, Catholics risked imprisonment and death to help Jews get to neutral Switzerland or, when lucky, to the United States. Before the US Civil War, the Quakers established safe houses for runaway slaves heading north to Canada. This network eventually what we today know as the 'Underground Railroad."

Last time I checked, the groups smuggling people from Mexico are not Catholics or Quakers but criminal gangs whose members routinely ignore the common human decencies. That they behave like vicious criminals is unsurprising. How this equates to "libertarian" is, frankly, a mystery to me.

The libertarian solution to rape is to arm the potential victims and their guardians. However, the criminal friendly gun laws law on both sides of the border makes that a difficult proposition bordering on the impossible. It is no surprise to me that career criminals plus unarmed victims yields a bad outcome.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'd hate to undermine a good cause but I'm not exactly 100% positive that "rape trees" are real. Now don't get me wrong, I know that female illegal border crossers are putting themselves at risk when they choose to use a coyote's services. But I'm wondering about the validity of these trees and question why would a coyote or a cartel want to mark their territory; their pathway to and from the U.S.? It smacks so much of media manipulation in order to justify the stepping up of border patrol, including the Minuteman Project patrol which does have instances of illegal activity of its own to counterbalance the coyotes they are supposedly attempting to stop. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Robin, I had similar thoughts about the trees themselves, for similar reasons, though I've seen Maras engage in similar blatant symbolism, and a lot closer to home. The rape trophy is an ugly and primitive form of sympathetic magic. But irrespective of the rape trees themselves, institutionalized rape on the border by the motherfucking degenerate vermin that "assist" people across is a fact, and an all too common one.

    The failure of both governments, through corruption and various agendas, to secure the border and restrict immigration to the accepted legal system, is a blot of shame on our history matched by few. Not to mention empowering them with billions of dollars worth of drug money, giving them the power of small nations.

    Scooby dooby doo, we've got some work to do now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appreciate the comments.

    I'm pretty certain the decorated trees are real enough. I've never seen one myself but I know people whose word on such matters I trust who have seen them and had photos they took. Whether the import being attached to them as symbols is correct; I admit to some doubt. That could be urban legend. However, as LiB points out some of the people involved in the smuggling are primitive, superstitious and savage. So the rape trees as shrines to human brutality may not be true but it is consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first started going to school to become a counsellor I used to work for an organization that helped the indigent with housing, childcare and other social services, including assistance with immigration here in the NYC area. I've personally known many illegals and bear no animosity to their status, instead helped them to become legal. Anyway, I've heard stories of some women even offering themselves in order to gain assistence crossing the border. That is sad, but I can see how some would be willing to barter flesh for the chance at a better life. (Or so they believe.) I guess when money is scarce you'd do just about anything to attain a goal.

    I also understand the symbolism and all of that, but I still stand by my question pertaining to why would they mark they territory? The number of trails that remain unfound are growing smaller, so why would they lead the authorities right to their point of passage? I guess I don't get it. The trails are used for not only illegals looking to come here for work, but also to smuggle drugs. Marking the trails makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete

Off topic comments will be deleted. Comments with spelling or grammar errors may be deleted unless they have hoplophobic or statist content in which case they will be highlighted and ridiculed.